Sunday, February 23, 2014

J-Series: Weekend Getaway in Kuala Lumpur

The journey starts at 09:00 when +Jamie Lau picked me from my house for breakfast nearby. A quick dim sum before I need to detour a tad back home, forgotten to wear my wedding ring! Hur, hur, hur.

Friday Dim Sum Breakfast in Taman Molek, Johor Bahru30 Jalan Molek 2/1 - Google Maps

Arrived at our luncheon venue in KL 15-20 minutes later than planned. We will be meeting Irene and +Joanne Khow here! The heat has killed all my appetite now. I went for a mini box of sandwich and a glass of refreshing fresh juices.

Friday Lunch at Ficelle Boulangerie & Pattiserie, Taman Danau Desa11-0-12, Jln 3/109 F, Danau Business Centre, Taman Danau Desa, KL - Google Maps

Seems like a KL trend to named their bakery in the classic French term - Boulangerie - whether or not it is churning out the world renowned French bakery. Meh shrug. The outdoor seatings are warm with restricted airflow. In this single climate country, it kills your appetite with just a snap from this spread in their menu.

Friday Dinner at Vintry Damansara130 Jalan Kasah, Medan Damansara, Wilayah Persekutuan, Kuala Lumpur - Google Maps

I didn't spend much time with the wine selections here. I lost my interest from a quick sweep to find the typical (safe) local choices, no Russian white (yet), obvious lacks of effort to educate and the whole nine boring yard. Thus, I save my effort and time too with their displays.

Food prices are definitely above quality and taste. Pulled pork burger swimming in what tasted like a generous dollop of Maggi's bottled chili sauce and they didn't even make the effort to process the pulled pork into a homemade meat pâté! Jamie ordered a mixed mushroom dish, of which I was rather against because when I saw the high pricing, I was afraid they will be serving us a small mix of cheap purchases found in all the local grocers. I was right! The usual on sales type found in local grocer. Taste? Incredible! A whole dish of mixed mushroom WITHOUT umami! How failed can a cook be? Magic. Croquette with cheese stuffing was a super failed, too. This place sure knows how to extracts all primary flavours of its produces AWAY!

Friday Night Out at Providence, IntermarkThe Intermark, 182 Jalan Tun Razak, Kuala Lumpur - Google Maps

Nice, decent dance club, reminiscing Velvet Underground in the late '90s - exclusivity & crowd - but the music went downhill after midnight when the crowds started coming in. The crowd came in in a rather peculiar fashion. It comes in group of above 10 pax each time! I swear this club must have sent out mini coaches to bring them in! Teehee.

Saturday Breakfast in the 'hoodNearby OUG Wet Market - Google Maps

It wasn't planned. We woken earlier than expected. Our dear Jamie is craving for nasi lemak as breakfast. Out we dragged our heavy heads from the pillows and onto the streets filled with weekend (breakfast) crowd. Nearby Joanne's abode. Unsure of the exact kopitiam we landed. Nasi lemak was out. Jamie is pressing for time. We ended having Pork & Seafood noodle meals.

It wasn't as good as it looks. No natural sweetness from the meat and seafood. A little heavy with its low grade soy sauce.

When we are done, I was super tired! I have to rain checked my brunch with Jess this morning! Shucks.

Saturday Lunch at Podgy & The Banker, HartamasGround Floor, No.2, Jalan Sri Hartamas 8, 50480 Kuala Lumpur

Errr.... I was looking forward to decent café food. Guess this is not it. I've asked for something in their menu which isn't something I usually find in a convenience store overseas. Avocado & Chicken sandwich. Decent butter used for the bread. A-okay but seriously not what I have in mind for today's lunch. Not something I casually whipped out from my kitchen, at least. Also, I'm not a gourmet coffee drinker. I've only switched to coffee from tea a year plus ago for health reason. I just need the bit of caffeine, loads of (non-synthetic at least) sugar and milk. Acidity as low as possible. For personal taste only. But, when it comes to coffee, this outlet is still lightning years behind the bunch at Chye Seng Huat (Singapore). Flash and all.

Sharing the halve of my sandwich with Joanne before Nick came to join us. Joanne left for running errands, I went to a vegetarian café nearby for proper meal. I was disappointed again. Aaaargggghhhhh! I still haven't had a single decent meal since I arrived KL!

For dinner tonight, I'm asking Joanne to choose. No more "recommended by others" liao.

Saturday Dinner at Hoofed18A Lorong Rahim Kajai 14, TTDI, Kuala Lumpur - Google Maps

I was unsure at first. But Joanne insisted I checked out the menu before deciding. I did. Wasn't quite impressed. But when the waiter walked pass with one of the dish, I'm game. Finally, a decent meal since I arrived KL! Service is good, food is aptly priced for the quality and taste. My Roasted Pork with Devil's Hair pasta was good enough to make it my main and done with. Good olive oil and pasta cooked right! Yeah!

Saturday Night Out at Lucky 9 Pool Bistro 1st Floor, Jalan SS7/26, Zenith Corporate Park, Petaling Jaya, Kelana Jaya - Google Maps

A chill-out night. Nice. Great service, not crowded, well-ventilated despite indoor smoking allowed and the tables are decent. I was still tired from our 2-3 hours of on/off sleeps prior to this morning. Am bushed by midnight.

Slept as much as we can on Sunday till it is time to have lunch with Jamie and Nick before leaving. Shiok!

Sunday Lunch at Nathan's Restaurant, Taman YARLnear 56-72 Jalan Awan Jawa 1, Taman Yarl GPS 3.072859, 101.667043 - Google Maps

I've requested for a heavier lunch since this will be the only meal for the whole day till we are back in Johor Bahru in the late evening. Decent food. Good choice, Joanne! Exactly what I've requested and expected.

When lunch is done, Jamie and I are on our to Genting. She has an errand to run before we hit the drive back to Johor Bahru.

To summarise my 3 days, 2 nights in KL, below is an under 2 minutes video compiled.

Video

 

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment