Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The Little Island Café, Taman Molek

Caged

Indoor Seating
They said, "If you have nothing nice to say, WRITE about it". So, here is me, writing about it.

This is my second visit to this café since its official opening. Here is the backstory of my first visit - click here. Didn't get my food then.

This afternoon, I got another chance again to visit. The kitchen is open. Good, I shall have the Penang Fried Guo Tiao with Duck Egg - Celine T. raved about this dish when she had it on the opening day.



What I was given is a decent portion of a overpriced dish. No more actual prawns given, as told by Celine T. at her first visit here. What I found was some measly bits of tiny prawns. Which, I suspected, were hauled from the other dish they served here - Prawn Noodle. Powdered to the bite upon chewing. You know what that means, right?

Checking the day of the week again, I questioned, "The market is still opens for fresh supplies. So, what went wrong here? Supplier lousy or bad budgeting moves?" and the reply from them was just another deflect for their shortcomings. "We couldn't get the big (pricier) prawns from supplier...blah, blah, blah." To which, I replied, knowingly futile, "Change a supplier if you're a capable chef (with good contacts established already) or get out to purchase yourself." I didn't expect it to be simple. But I've definitely seen and known some cooks/chefs who did it. So, there, the difference.

So, let's get back to the dish again. Taste, ok. No natural stock tasted for the frying. For MYR8.90 per pop (portion the size of a female average palm), overpriced. Yes, duck egg is slightly pricier than chicken. Now, can any of you taste the difference between chicken and duck egg, which was cooked on high heat, drizzle with spicy oil and beaten to the mix frying? There is an exact dish on menu, minus the duck egg label on it, for a much lower price. When I was asked by Celine if I've tasted the DUCK egg, I honestly replied I am unsure. But, I sure can taste the egg shell bits in it. Uh-huh.

Location - http://goo.gl/maps/spEH3

0 comments:

Post a Comment