Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Summer Garden BBQ in Stockholm

 

What better way to have a wonderful summer garden BBQ than having three chefs setting it all up for a lucky ol'me? We went to a nearby mart for some raw produces. Let's just say, it was a very interesting and fun (quick) grocery shopping with 'em chefs, led by Jonas, of course. I remembered the first sentence he said when we stepped in was along the line of, "No tins, cans ... and nonsense like that. No kid's stuff, y'all not kids ...don't you dare to throw those in my basket..."

I stealth up to Markus at one point, when he was separated from Jonas for a bit to asked, softly, if I can have some mushrooms, too. I was rather pleased to have a "yes, sure" from him! As you can see by now, my job in all these are to just eat. So, the part on shopping and set-up are something which were left entirely up to them. And everyone seems to played out their parts well and clearly. Hence, my li'imploded joy from just wanting the mushroom in the list was justifiable, right?


Food! Homemade fresh Béarnaise sauce by Markus for our meats later. Nice bowl of mixed olive, herbs, cheese, etc in olive oil. Chosen block of some nice, light cheese by Jonas, cheekily plated by Kenneth with blue edible flowers from the garden; I'm no good with cheese names. Homemade balsamic & olive oil dressing for our greens. Potatoes were boiled in a pot filled with water, olive oil and herbs. Meat was prepared in the most simple way I like - salt & pepper.

Sauces/Marinate/Condiments should COMPLIMENT the main, not heavily and complicatedly masked/covered the MAIN. I'm not a big fan of those styles (cooking). I always doubt they have the freshest raw produces AND just plain clueless (too much unfounded experiments without a grasp for an actual foundation or strength in classic cooking). Speaking of which, knowing and exposing to each raw elements in the world of edibility is a dedication and talent much admired. Just check out how Grant Achatz does it brilliantly even when his required vital senses were compromised during recovery.


Dessert was a mix of fresh strawberries from the garden and some from the local grower in the neighbourhood, with vanilla ice-cream! I love those homemade vanilla ice-cream a lot, in terms of its taste. Not just because I derived pleasure from seeing black flecks in it and thinking the maker took more time/labour to slit open each vanilla beans ^^; The best homemade I had thus far in this Scandinavian trip has to be the one at Renaa: Matbaren *drool*

0 comments:

Post a Comment